Thursday, July 23, 2009

Abandonment

I've suffered the pain and disappointment of abandonment of friendship at a time when I thought I needed it most. It really hurt and aggravated me since I'd been there for these people during their darkest hours of need. I never expected them to repay me for it, but I didn't expect them to neglect me in the manner in which they did. I initially thought I had done something wrong. I later discovered that was not the case after I broached the issue. Instead of addressing the issue head on, they brushed me aside--promising to get back to me, but never doing so for months and in some cases, over a year! I've heard that everything happens for a reason and for the longest time I struggled to find the reason for these occurrences. It finally dawned on me that by them dropping me by the wayside, I was forced to go through many of my obstacles alone. As a result, I was able to find my own strength and rely on my own two feet to carry me wherever I wanted or needed to go. Though I can't forget what they've done, I have forgiven them. I know that carrying a grudge will only put more weight on my back. I also realize that I can't focus on where I'm going if I keep staring at the path behind me. However, I take a short glance every now and then as a reminder of what could happen if I'm not careful. That way, I know what signs to look out for to prevent history from repeating itself. In retrospect, I realize that although certain people turned their backs on me I wasn't completely alone the whole time--although it occasionally seemed that way. I was fortunate enough to have people in my circle who have stuck by me when times were really tough. For that, I will be forever grateful. Such people are hard to come by and shouldn't be taken for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment